Happy Social Media Day! Today is the day when we celebrate all things Social Media. A day where we acknowledge Social Media and all the contributions it has provided to improve communication and collaboration with networking, businesses, education, nonprofits, multimedia & entertainment. A day where we reach out to all the people we have developed relationships with through the use of Social Media and possibly cultivate new ones. A day where we also honor all the developers for making this day possible. My hat goes off to you! Let’s get Social today and interact!
Some of the popular Social Media Networks tools are Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Fourquare and Flicker. However, the common thing about Social Media is that it enables us to listen as well as interact.
Here is a list of useful Social Media Networks:
- Blogs: Blogger, LiveJournal, Open Diary, TypePad, WordPress, Vox, ExpressionEngine, Xanga
- Micro-blogging / Presence applications: Jaiku, Plurk, Twitter, Tumblr, Posterous, Yammer, Qaiku
- Social networking: Facebook, MySpace
- Event Coordination & Planning: Eventful, Meetup.com, Tweetup
- Career Professional & Employment Recruitment: LinkedIn
- Wikis: Wikimedia, Wikia, PBworks, Wetpaint
- Social bookmarking: Delicious, StumbleUpon, Google Reader, CiteULike
- Social news: Digg, Mixx, Reddit, NowPublic
- Photography and art sharing: Flickr, Photobucket, Picasa, SmugMug, Zooomr
- Video sharing: YouTube, Viddler, Vimeo, sevenload
- Livecasting: Ustream.tv, Justin.tv, Stickam, Skype
- Music and audio sharing: MySpace Music, The Hype Machine, Last.fm, Blip.fm, ReverbNation
- Presentation sharing: slideshare, scribd
Reviews and opinions
Today is also the day where we cordially invite people who are currently not using Social Media to join the bandwagon and celebrate Social Media by creating a Social Media account and start engaging.
Start small by opening a Facebook or Twitter account and then use the reference table above to slowly build the social networks you collaborate in. If you are an existing Social Media user you may want to use the list to continue to build your network. Looking forward to connecting with you!
How have you found Social Media useful? Are you celebrating Social Media Day at local Mashable Social Media Meetup?