Pozole is a traditional Mexican dish made with hominy, meat, chile sauce and garnish. The soup has a historical background as well. During the Aztec periods, maize was very sacred and only eaten as part of a community ritual. The dish was also mentioned in historical Spaniards books. The recipe has changes significantly, especially the meat used, but hominy remains the main ingredient of the dish.
Today pozole is served in all restaurants in Mexico with pork as the staple meat. In the US the soup is only served during the Christmas, New Years, Three Kings Day and weekends. It is a time consuming recipe, but certainly worth the time. Most traditional recipes make the recipe with pork or beef. However, I prefer to make my recipe with chicken as a healthier alternative. The soup is also served with cabbage, red radishes, oregano, onions and lime.
We recently celebrated several milestones in our family: An engagement, Three Masters completions, Attendance to a UC, Attendance to USC, Attendance to Graduate school and most of all the blessing of being surrounded by family to celebrate it all. It was a great and memorable celebration to look back at the previous year and look forward to the opportunities the new year has to offer.
The next time you want to celebrate a major milestone in your life consider making Red Chicken Pozole.
Red Chicken Pozole Recipe
Red Chile Puree Ingredients
Find Recipe Here
12 pieces of chicken legs & thighs
3 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons salt
105 oz can of Hominy
2 bunches of cilantro
3 bunches of red radishes
1 chopped red onion
1/4 thinly sliced cabbage
2 tsp oregano
1. Place Chicken in large pot. Add garlic cloves, onion, salt and 18 cups of water.
2. Bring water to a boil for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Keep chicken fat in the pot to add flavor.
3. Add red chile sauce to pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add hominy and bring to a boil.
5. Serve pozole in a bowl with tortillas and your preferred garnish. Serve with love.
Latest posts by Eva Smith (see all)
- LA LA LAND Guide To Things In LA – LA LA LAND In Concert - March 18, 2017
- SoCal Travel Guide – Rejuvenating Our Souls with a Pacific Crest Trail Hike - March 18, 2017
- Beauty And The Beast Fun Facts And Movie Review - March 17, 2017