Today we celebrate the life of our first President George Washington and all American Presidents. The Federal Holiday originated in the 1880s to celebrate George Washington’s Birthday. In 1968 the observation was moved to Mondays. Some reformers tried to rename the Holiday to “President’s Day” to observe President Lincoln’s Birthday as well, but were unsuccessful. Over the years the date has been observed as “President’s Day” primarily by retailers and eventually adopted by businesses and the federal government. However, President’s Day is not the official name of the holiday.
We observe Presidents Day on the third Monday in February with a three day weekend vacation, shopping or just relaxing around the house.
Here are a couple of President’s Day frequently asked questions and answers, top presidential quotes and top news across the web to celebrate this special day.
Public services are CLOSED on Presidents Day
- Postal Services: All Post Offices will be CLOSED; There will also be no mail delivered on Monday, except for Express Mail.
- Department of Motor Vehicles: All DMV Offices are CLOSED.
- Libraries: All Libraries are CLOSED.
- Federal, State & Local Offices: Riverside County, San Bernardino County Public Schools will be CLOSED. Check your local districts.
- Trash & Recyling: All trash pickup will be delayed by one day.
- Retail & Grocery Stores: Most are OPEN.
Top Presidential Quotes
- Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. – President Barack Obama
- If you live long enough, you’ll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you’ll be a better person. It’s how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit. – President William J. Clinton
- The momentum of freedom in our world is unmistakable – and it is not carried forward by our power alone. We can trust in that greater power Who guides the unfolding of the years. And in all that is to come, we can know that His purposes are just and true. – President George W. Bush
- This is America … a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky. – President H. Bush
- Whether the borders that divide us are picket fences or national boundaries, we are all neighbors in a global community – President Jimmy Carter
Top President’s Day Stories Around The Web
- From Telegrams to Instagram, a Look at Presidents and Technology – A look at presidents employing latest communications technologies to speak to Americans directly rather through the press.
- For Presidents Day, a look at presidential job approval ratings from Ike to Obama – Pew Research Center provides a look at presidential approval ratings.
- What’s in a County Name? Presidents’ Day Edition out of the 3,100-plus counties in the United States, only 197 are named for former presidents. Article provides data around those names and numbers.
- President’s Day or Washington’s Birthday – Origin of the Monday Holiday provides history of how Washington’s Birthday became “President’s Day”.
- Myths and Secrets of Presidential Monuments – Favorite myths and secrets of the monuments and their hidden history.
- History Of Presidents Of the United States – The White House Biographies of all the 44 Presidents of the United States
60-Second Presidents: A Chronological Playlist
Latest posts by Eva Smith (see all)
- Hollywood Entertainment Technology Festival - September 17, 2018
- SoCal Summer Guide | Monster Jam Triple Threat Series and Ticket Giveaway - August 8, 2018
- 2019 Travel Guide | National Parks Park FREE Dates - January 12, 2018